Since Halloween just passed on Monday, I thought this would be the perfect time to share my current nighttime skin care routine! Yanno…since most of us probably need to do a little extra lovin’ on our skin after last weekend… ;). I say ‘current’ skin care routine because, like most people, mine changes from time to time. However, there are a few things in this routine that I never skip a beat with, so I’ll make sure to point those out to y’all too. :).
I think most people would agree that they ideally would love to spend ample amounts of time (and money!) on their skin care, however, realistically that’s not always possible for everyone. By the end of the day, I’m so tired and just want to get changed out of my work clothes and take my makeup off that I usually just want to do it as quickly as possible. So here’s my pretty simple, fairly inexpensive, and relatively quick evening skin care routine!
1. Pure ‘n Gentle Make-up Remover Wipes – the very first thing I do when I get home in the evening is take off my makeup. I’m sure many of y’all will agree that there’s no joy like putting makeup on and looking/feeling great, but there’s no better feeling than taking it all off at the end of the day as well. These makeup wipes are my current obsession! I’ve tried the Neutrogena ones, the Simple ones, and a few others, but these particular makeup wipes that I found at Wal-Mart have hit the spot for me. First off, they’re alcohol-free and oil-free, which is an automatic 5 stars in my book. I hate that tingly feeling of something burning on my face when I use any type of product, especially around my eyes, and these don’t do any of that! I will say that they are slightly thinner than most makeup remover wipes, but I think they still do a fantastic job taking off the majority of my makeup (because I refuse to believe that there is any wipe that you don’t have to follow up with a quick rinse anyway). Finally, and most importantly, the price point of these wipes are so incredibly impressive, that they’ve just got me hooked now — 96 CENTS (for 30 wipes). Yep, you read that correctly. And you. Are. Welcome. 2. Clinique Take The Day Off Makeup Remover For Lids, Lashes & Lips – for days that my eye makeup is slightly heavier than my day-to-day routine (or I have extra coats of mascara on), I’ll go in with this guy first. I just dab a little bit onto a cotton ball, and it does a fantastic job taking everything off as well. Then I’ll follow up with the wipes mentioned above.
3. Clean & Clear Night Relaxing Deep Cleaning Face Wash + Lil’ Scrubbies Facial Cleaning Pad – next, I follow up with a quick rinse using this awesome nighttime cleanser. It makes my skin feel SO soft afterwards, it’s amazing. I use it on this facial cleaning pad, that I also picked up from Wal-Mart. I used to use a Clarisonic-type brush, but I felt like it was starting to get a little harsh on my skin when used daily. I found this facial cleaning pad and have loved using it ever since. It’s not too hard, not too soft, it’s easy to clean, and I feel like it makes a huge difference in cleaning my face. The combination of these two make my skin feel super clean and ready for the night.
4. Clean & Clear Essentials Deep Cleaning Astringent (Oil-Free) – I don’t use this product every night (because I always use it once in the morning), but I definitely use it when I feel any acne coming or see any starting to form. This product has a high salicylic acid content, which helps target the excess surface oil on your skin, and lets your pores breathe and not be clogged. However, salicylic acid is especially drying for your skin, so I do recommend only using it once or twice a day.
5. e.l.f. Daily Hydration Moisturizer – I also don’t use this product every night, except for days I feel like I need the extra boost of hydration. It’s my current go-to moisturizer because it sinks into my skin really well and doesn’t leave my face feeling sticky or oily, which I love. This moisturizer is infused with jojoba, aloe, vitamin E, and cucumber – all really great and calming for your skin. It also smells SO good!
6. Olay Regenerist Luminist facial oil – I tend to like using a facial oil at night because I believe that it actually gives the oil the proper amount of time to sink in and do its job throughout the night. This oil is non-greasy and lightweight, so I absolutely love it.
7. e.l.f. Illuminating Eye Cream – I actually just recently started paying more attention to my under eye area, and using an eye cream. Before diving into the eye cream world head first, I decided to start off slow and gradually work my way up. I’ve been loving this eye cream from e.l.f., and I actually have seen a slight difference in the area. I just pat on a very small amount under my eyes and up around my brow bone.
8. My secret to clear skin: fresh aloe vera – to be completely honest, if I could only have one ‘product’ in my nighttime skin care routine, it would be fresh aloe vera. It gets rid of scars like nobody’s business, and is so hydrating for your skin. Some of the many, many benefits of aloe vera are that it is moisturizing, fights aging, treats acne, fades dark spots and acne scars, and lessens the visibility of stretch marks. I rub the fresh gel from inside the aloe vera plant all over my face right before I go to bed. Thankfully, we have an aloe vera plant in our backyard that has grown to be pretty big, so I usually just cut a piece of it (like the one in the photo) on Sunday evening and use smaller pieces of it throughout the week. If you can’t get your hands on a fresh aloe vera plant, I know that most grocery/drug stores or Whole Foods sell a bottle of fresh aloe vera gel that works almost just as well, too! If you have a lot of acne scars or dark spots, I highly highly recommend trying this method out for a few weeks, and seeing if you see a difference. 🙂 I will say that fresh aloe vera doesn’t smell or taste the greatest, but it does work wonders
9. Finally, I try to chug an entire bottle of water before going to bed. Water is the key to hydrated, flawless skin, so even if you have to force yourself at first, it is really important to get into the habit of drinking as much water as possible throughout the day!
That’s it! I also try to do a face mask 3-4 times a week at night before bed, for a little extra lovin’. Let me know in the comments below if you’d like to see my current favorite face masks! Other than that, I try to keep it pretty simple when it comes to nighttime skin care because I want to avoid piling on a bunch of chemicals on my face before I sleep. My goal is always to just make sure I remove everything completely from the day, and re-hydrate my skin before going to bed. The aloe vera always does a perfect job of doing that, but sometimes I just need that extra hydration as well (esp with the *highly anticipated* cooler weather coming up soon…)
Leave a comment below with your current favorite nighttime products – I would love to know <3. Happy cleansing!